NAMI Parents & Teachers as Allies
Empowering teachers and school personnel to make a lasting difference in the lives of their students, NAMI Parents & Teachers as Allies (PTA) opens the door for schools to make a difference.
Our free, on-site presentation is led by a team from your community consisting of a young adult with a mental health condition, a parent and a teacher. Our 90-minute program will share how to:
- Understand the difference between “bad behavior” and symptoms of a mental health condition.
- Recognize early warning signs.
- Communicate and partner with families effectively.
- Link to community services quickly.
- Create a supportive learning environment for all students.
Why Your School Needs NAMI Parents & Teachers as Allies
- 1 in 5 kids experiences a mental health condition, but only 20% of them actually receive services.
- About 50% of students ages 14+ with a mental health condition will drop out.
- Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for 15-24 year olds.
With early identification and intervention, there is hope.
What People are Saying
“PTA gave me a new understanding of the importance of my role in early recognition of kids with symptoms of mental illness and the urgency of early intervention on their behalf." – Education professional
"My sister lives with schizophrenia but was so good at hiding it for many years. Few people out there understand what to look for. Thank you for the work you do in creating support for families and improving awareness for educators. What you are doing is extremely important." – Education professional
Schedule a Presentation
The NAMI Parents & Teachers as Allies presentation isn't currently available at every local NAMI Affiliate. If the program isn’t already available in your community, contact your local NAMI to bring it to your community.