WHO WE ARE
NAMI – Williamsburg Area is a support, education and advocacy organization for and by individuals with serious mental illnesses, their families and friends. NAMI Williamsburg Area is dedicated to improving the quality of life and attaining the highest potential of recovery of persons with brain disorders, such as schizophrenia, major depression and bipolar disorder among others. The affiliate is open to all persons who promote the recovery, and care about the quality of life, of persons with a serious mental illness. NAMI-Williamsburg Area serves the general area of James City County, Poquoson, Williamsburg and York County. In addition to NAMI-Williamsburg Area, NAMI Virginia has twenty-seven affiliates across the Commonwealth, with over 2,000 members.
P.O. Box89, Williamsburg, Virginia 23187
NAMI-Williamsburg Area holds regular meetings, at 7:00PM on every Tuesday of each month, located on the second floor at Saint Stephen’s Lutheran Church, 612 Jamestown Road, Williamsburg, VA. All interested persons are welcome and encouraged to attend. Membership is NOT necessary to attend any meetings
- Separate support groups for family members and Persons In Recovery are held every Tuesday of every month
- A Souper Supper (Soup and light refreshments) is held at 6 pm of the first Tuesday prior to the support group meetings.
WHAT WE DO
Support: Persons In Recovery and family members understand the problems associated with mental illness and share experiences and solutions.
Education: We promote knowledge about mental illnesses and dispel stigma.
- IOOV is an outstanding, FREE recovery education presentation given by persons with mental illness. This program is appropriate for any audience and is scientifically proven to fight the stigma of the general population and perceptions of persons with mental illness. To arrange a 1-hour presentation for your group of any size please call 757-220-8535 or email IOOV@NAMIWilliamsburgArea.org
- Family to Family A FREE twelve-week educational program facilitated by NAMI trained presenters and provides family members with the latest most up-to-date information on brain disorders, biological factors, treatments available, current medications, coping skill and strategies for daily living, and resources in the community for accessing treatment. Registration is FREE, but space is limited. To register for the next Family-to-Family class call 757-220-8535 or email lF2F@NAMIWilliamsburgArea.org.
- Peer-to-Peer is a unique, experiential learning program for people with any serious mental illness who are interested in establishing and maintaining their wellness and recovery. Registration is FREE, but space is limited. To register for the next Peer-to-Peer program call 757-220-8535 or email P2P@NAMIWilliamsburgArea.org.