NAMI Basics Education Program
The fundamentals of caring for you, your family and your child with mental illness
NAMI Basics is the new signature education program for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illnesses. Development of this program was based on the success of other NAMI signature education programs for consumers and families available across the country. NAMI drew on course elements which have been extensively tested and found to be highly effective in the field. These elements include:
- recognition of mental illness as a continuing traumatic event for the child and the family;
- sensitivity to the subjective emotional issues faced by family caregivers and well children in the family;
- recognition of the need to help ameliorate the day-to-day objective burdens of care and management;
- gaining confidence and stamina for what can be a life-long role of family understanding and support; and
- empowerment of family caregivers as effective advocates for their children.
The process of emotional learning and practical insight for families occurs most readily, and dependably, on the guided group process which takes place when individual family members are in a class together. This program will also take advantage of advancing technology which allows programs to virtually connect families and provides broader access to vitally important information.
2013 Class Schedule (Still planning more this year)
Starting June 7, 2013 for six weeks.
Those dates include: June 7, 14, 21, 28, July 5, 12
21 Municipal Drive
Arnold, MO 63010 6:30-9:00 p.m.
Starting July 11, 2013 for six weeks.
Those dates include: July 11, 18, 25, August 1, 8, 15
Trinity Lutheran Church
1307 Boone St.
Troy, MO 63379
For Lincoln County residents only
Starting July 11, 2013 for six weeks.
Those dates include: July 11, 18, 25 and August 1, 8, and 15
Grace United Church of Christ
8326 Mexico Rd.
St. Peters, MO 63376
For St. Charles County residents only
If you are interested in taking this class please call Joyce Johnston @ 636.940.7440 or firstname.lastname@example.org. This class is considered life-changing for those who take it. Call or e-mail today so that I can schedule around you! Childcare is provided at no charge to you! The class and all materials are provided free of charge.
“The NAMI Basics class could just as easily be named an empowerment course for caregivers. While the class addresses the grieving process inherent in caring for a child with mental illness, it moves the participant beyond a state of despair and into action. NAMI Basics provides tangible skills and tools to manage the day-to-day processes of not only coping but functioning in a positive way. Additionally, the class recognizes that the illness encompasses and affects the entire family dynamic and therefore addresses those needs as well. The course further prepares caregivers for future potential issues, enabling them to be in a position of strength and readiness.” Quote from parent who took the class
Each Basics Course is:
- 6 classes, 2 1/2 hours each, offered either weekly or as muliple classes per week
- Childcare is provided at no expense to you
- Taught by trained NAMI family members who have children with mental illness
- Follows a structured format covering issues frequently faced by families dealing with a child or teen with mental illness
Course elements include:
- The trauma of mental ilness for the child and family
- The biology of mental illness: getting an accurate diagnosis
- The latest research on the medical aspects of the illness and advances in treatment
- An overview of treatment options - treatment works
- The impact of a child's mental illness on the rest of the family - caregivers and siblings
- An overview of the systems involved in caring for children and teens and the importance of record keeping
To sign up for a Basics class, contact:
Joyce Johnston - 314.962.4670 or email@example.com
636-940-7440 or 1-877-724-2977
Monthly Family Support Groups are also available. Please check the Support Group Events for times and locations.
What People are saying about NAMI Basics
"The course is inclusive of almost all aspects of family and child and resources. I could have spent a lifetime getting all this information on my own. I feel supported, strong and ready to go forward."
"This is such a great step by step program that walks parents every step of the way. It is as if you are holding their hand through it all."