Education is a key to helping eliminate and reduce stigma in our society. It also helps in enhancing a desire to see treatment, therapy and support that inspires a focus on recovery. NAMI Southwest Missouri offers several education opportunities for the general public or on specific topics including:
QPR: Suicide Prevention
Mental Health First Aide
Breaking the Silence In Our Schools
Depresson in the Workplace
Mental Illnesses historically have been diseases that others dreaded and feared -- often because they were uninformed.
When diagnosed with a mental illness:
- Many people are confused and frightened, and they do not understand what has happened to them.
- They may find it hard to believe they have a brain disorder.
- They may wonder whether their lives will ever seem “normal” again.
Family Members have questions and concerns themselves for their loved one.
- What do I do if there is a crisis?
- How can I get a clear diagnosis for my relative?
- What local services in my community am I missing out on?
NAMI and the HOPE Center offers various educational courses for individuals with mental illness and their family members/caregivers:
For Persons with Mental Illness:
For Family Members/Caregivers:
For the Community:
If you have questions about any programs or serivce of NAMI call 864-7119