NAMI Family-to-Family Education Courses
What is NAMI Family-to-Family?
NAMI Family-to Family is a free, 12-class education program for family members of adults living with mental illness. In this program family is viewed from a broad perspective to include parents, siblings, spouses, adult sons and daughters, partners and significant others. The course is designed to help all family members understand and support their loved one with mental illness while maintaining their own well-being. The course includes information on illnesses such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depression and other mental health conditions. Thousands of families describe the program as life-changing. The program is taught by trained teachers who are also family members and know what it is I like to have a loved one living with mental illness.
What are the goals of NAMI Family-to-Family?
- To provide information about, and the most current research available on, the biological aspects of mental illness
- To provide the most current information on the possibilities for living in recovery, including a variety of available treatment strategies
- To promote empathy by creating an understanding of the subjective, lived experience of a person living with mental illness
- To provide specific skills training in the areas of problem-solving, listening, communication techniques and handling crises and relapse
- To focus on care for the caregiver such as learning to cope with worry, stress and emotional overload
- To provide guidance on locating, and how to advocate for, appropriate supports and services within the community
What people are saying about NAMI Family-to-Family?
- "This program made a tremendous difference in my relationship with my daughter. I can’t believe how uninformed I was about mental illness. I have already referred three people for the next class." —A family member
- "The course has helped me to realize that my son is still inside the body that is often times hidden by the mental illness and that I am not alone in this." —A family member
NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is the nation’s largest grass roots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. NAMI advocates for access to services, treatment, supports and research and is steadfast in its commitment to raising awareness and building a community of hope for all of those in need.
How can I find a NAMI Family-to-Family class?
Please download and complete the form at the bottom of this page if you or someone you know would like to attend a NAMI Family-to-Family class. You can also call (585) 423-1593 for further information.