FAMILY TO FAMILY
FAMILY to FAMILY EDUCATION COURSE is a FREE 12-week course designed for family members of individuals with serious and persistent Brain disorders (mental illness).
The curriculum focuses on five major psychiatric illnesses (schizophrenia, major depression, mania, panic/anxiety disorders, and obsessive compulsive disorder), emphasizing the clinical treatment of these ilnesses and teaching the knowledge and skills that family members need when facing the problems of mental illness.
The Family-To-Family Education courses are taught by trained NAMI family member volunteers in co-leading teams.
Twelve Education Classes
- Learning about feelings and learning about facts.
- Schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, diagnosis, critical periods
- Major depression, mania, panic/anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder, diagnosis and causes.
- Basics about the brain.
- Problem solving skills workshop.
- Medication review.
- What it's like to be mentally ill: Empathy workshop.
- Communication skills workshop.
- Support groups and self-care.
- Rehabilitation and potential for recovery.
- Advocacy: Fighting stigma.
- Review, evaluation, certification and celebration.
For information on dates, times, and location of class, please
contact our NAMI Northern Illinois office at 815 963-2470.