NAMI of Central Suffolk May 2014 News
May Wednesday Meetings
Wednesday meetings are at Mather Hospital Rooms Two and Three
All are welcome. Hope to see you there!
Our Educational/Informational meetings and peer support group are now in Room TWO. The general support group will be in Room THREE.
May 7th: Informational/Educational Program @ 7:30-9 pm ROOM TWO: Please join NAMI of Central Suffolk for the CHANGE YOUR BRAIN, CHANGE YOUR LIFE DVD viewing. Through his brain imaging work at the Amen Clinics with tens of thousands of patients from 68 countries over the last two decades Dr. Daniel Amen has come to understand that you can literally change your brain and change your life. This is one of the most exciting breakthroughs in medicine, because with a better brain, always comes a better life. CHANGE YOUR BRAIN, CHANGE YOUR LIFE DVD is an extended version of the breakthrough Public Television special. It is packed with helpful tips and practical brain science including:
- Dr. Amen's SEVEN simple principles to change your brain and change your life.
- The ONE question you should ask yourself everyday if you really want to be successful in your life.
- Tips on how to be happier, more focused, less anxious and less depressed by balancing three important brain systems.
- A sneaky "brain based strategy" to deal with the most difficult people in your life.
- Clear, concise and effective strategies to make your brain great.
- TWELVE brain-healthy foods everyone should include in their diet.
- Things you can do NOW to prevent Alzheimer's disease. (and he's not kidding)
May 14th Peer Support Group @ 6:30 PM ROOM TWO: for individuals living with mental illness ONLY. Call Peter 631 473-0155 for info
May 21st General Support Group @ 7:30 PM ROOM THREE: for all who are affected by mental illness-individuals, family members, significant others and friends.
May 5th and 19th ( the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month) NAMI Connection Support Group 6:30-8 pm at Pollack Gardens SRO in West Sayville- For Concern Housing residents only. This is a peer facilitated support group.
Central Suffolk's East End Support Group location in Watermill at the Grace Church. Call affiliate Facilitator Gail 283-2380 for info.
We are delighted to announce that we have partnered with Federation of Organizations for another 12 week FAMILY TO FAMILY Educational Course in Patchogue starting Monday, April 28 7-9:30 pm. Call Phyllis to register (631) 842-3954 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Seating is limited. Priority seating goes to NAMI members. Not a member? No problem, call Deb to join 675-6831 or email LighteOfLove@aol.com.
BIG thanks to Nancy Hollinshead for speaking once again to Suffolk RESPONSE about NAMI and mental illness, and BIG thanks to Phyllis Fisher for speaking at the NAMIWalks Kick Off Luncheon about our affiliate’s unique programs; NAMI Faith Net, Connection and F2F with Veteran Families at the Northport VA. BIG thanks to Diane LaPorte for representing families on the Mather Hospital Incident Review Committee.
2014 NAMIWalks Starts Running! Get Motivated! Join, Fundraise and/or Donate to NAMI of Central Suffolk! “YOU MUST BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD" It starts with YOU! SAVE THE DATE! Saturday, May 3rd 10 AM RAIN or SHINE Jones Beach Parking Field #5
There are FOUR ways in which you may help NAMI of Central Suffolk thrive so we may continue to provide support, education and advocacy programs to or community with FREE programs.
- Form a team and fundraise for NAMI of Central Suffolk! If you have questions or need assistance to form a team for NAMI of Central Suffolk, contact Rori Fleschel, Walks Manager, (516) 325-0428 email@example.com
- Join our affiliate team CENTRAL SUFFOLK CRUSADERS for our 9th walk with
- If you can’t join, you may fundraise and/or donate at http://namiwalks.nami.org/DebMayo or mail donations to NAMI of Central Suffolk PO Box 524 Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776. Checks made payable to NAMIWalks and the memo line to read: Central Suffolk. PLEASE MAIL OR GIVE THE CHECKS
ONLY TO DEB OR PHYLLIS! Contact Deb Mayo LighteOfLove@aol.com or call (631) 675-6831 for information.
- CALLING ALL FAMILY TO FAMILY GRADUATES!! Join TEAM FAMILY TO FAMILY to show your gratitude and support for a fabulous NAMI program and walk TOGETHER with other F2F grads!
http://namiwalks.nami.org/teamfamilytofamily OR if you decide to walk on the team yet dont want a website for others to donate to, please donate to Team Captain Janet Reilly http://namiwalks.nami.org/jpr