This FREE 12-week, 36-hour course is designed for families with loved ones who have a brain illness.
In this course, you will learn about brain illnesses, medication, medication adherence,
stress reduction, empathy for your relative, setting boundaries, caring for yourself,
communication and problem-solving skills, therapeutic resources, and advocacy.
For family members of close relatives with:
• Bipolar Disorder
• Borderline Personality Disorder
• Dual Diagnosis
• Major Depression
• Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
• Panic Disorder
• Schizoaffective Disorder
The highly acclaimed Family to Family Education Program is the centerpiece of the NAMI Family Movement. Designed to give you the insight and ammunition you need to navigate the Mental Health System, it consists of twelve weekly classes structured to help family members understand and support their ill relative while maintaining their own well being. The program is taught by a team of specially trained volunteer family members who know what it's like to have a loved one with a mental illness.
12 Week Program Class Schedule
1. Intro to family education
2. Intro to schizophrenia; diagnosis, critical periods
3. Intro to depression and bipolar illness, borderline personality disorder,
panic disorder and OCD
4. Basics about the brain
5. Problem solving skill workshop
6. Medications review
7. Empathy workshop; what it's like to be mentally ill
8. Communication skills workshop
9. Relative groups and self care
11. Advocacy: fighting stigma and discrimination
12. Certification and celebration
We offer the program in the Spring and Fall. The Classes are FREE! You only need to commit to attend for 12 weeks and since class size is limited, you must pre-register.