FACING THE FACTS:
* One out of five American families has a relative who has a mental illness.
* Mental illness typically strikes young people in their most productive years, 16-25.
* Three million children and adolescents suffer from these illnesses.
* Families from all walks of life are affected regardless of age, race, income, religion or education.
* Mental illness devastates family members and people with mental illness. Family life is disrupted.
* Each year, mental illnesses cost billions of dollars in care and lost earning.
SERIOUS MENTAL ILLNESSES:
* Are brain diseases showing neurological, structural and biochemical abnormalities with genetic, and perhaps viral components not as yet understood.
* Include schizophrenia, depressive illnesses, anxiety disorders, and other mental disorders.
* Can and do improve iwth proper treatment, support systems and rehabilitation.