* In the event of severe weather the support group will be canceled. We will follow the Iowa City School District cancellations. If schools are closed the support group will be canceled. The NAMI JC phone message will update with information as well. 319-337-5400
First Tuesday each month - 9:00 a.m. - NAMI Family Breakfast meets at MidTown Restaurant II (1069 Highway 1 West) for breakfast and conversation.
Every Tuesday – 6:30 – 8:00pm – Connections Support Group - is a recovery support group for people living with a mental illness. Support group meets at the former NAMI-JC office (220 Lafayette St) now R Place
Every Thursday - 6:30-7:30 p.m. - Family Support Group meets at the NAMI-JC office (1105 Gilbert Ct). Class is facilitated by family members, who are trained in facilitating support meetings, but are NOT professional counselors. The meetings are now open to all families who are concerned about a family member who is experiencing mental illness.
Goals for support groups
- To promote understanding and emotional growth through honest group interaction and self-disclosure.
- To encourage group members to focus on their internal resources and to establish realistic expectations.
- To provide a supportive environment that fosters healthy acceptance of each individual’s current situation and encourages realistic goal setting for the future.
- To provide an opportunity to share feelings, experiences, and coping strategies with others in similar situations as a way of assigning meaning to life.
- To see how others deal with similar problems, to gain new information, and to see role models for possible change.