How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. — Anne Frank, Diary of a Young Girl
NAMI Pasco needs your help to continue improving the lives of our mentally ill. We are an ALL-volunteer organization whose mission is serving consumers with psychiatric disabilities and offering support and education for their families, friends and loved ones.
NAMI Pasco would like to expand services in the East and Central Pasco county area. Volunteers are needed to conduct our Family Support Groups, Connection Groups and our Family Education Classes. If you would like to learn more please see the description and application at the bottom of this page.
Because of volunteers like you...
- Parents can learn to advocate for their school-aged children while empowering themselves to overcome new challenges in our Basics class.
- Families can learn communication and problem-solving techniques, coping mechanisms, and self-care skills in our Family-to-Family class and Family Support Groups.
- People living with a mental illness can recover, find community, and lead their best lives in our Peer-to-Peer class and Connection Support Groups.
- Veterans can find recovery and community in our Vet-to-Vet Support Groups.
- Health care providers can learn to respond effectively to families and gain empathy and understanding of what it is like to live with a mental illness in our Provider Education class.
- Law enforcement personnel can learn how to effectively handle situations involving a person with mental illness in Crisis Intervention Team Training.
- Faith communities can learn to offer caring, understanding and support that promote healing and recovery through our FaithNet program.
- High school students can learn about mental illness and reducing stigma through our Ending the Silence presentation.
- Hundreds of people affected by mental illness can be provided information and resources to better their lives by phone, email, or in person at our NAMI Pasco office.
~ ~ ~
You are the change you wish to see in this world.
Many many thanks to you!
There are so many good reasons to volunteer:
Make new friends
Build social networks
Learn new skills
Improve your resume (employers LOVE to see community invovlement)
Make a difference in your life and others around you
Develop empathy and compassion
Bring happiness to others around you and most importantly, yourself
Here are just a few of the ways you can make a difference in someone's life (and your own):
-Help the Board of Directors with administrative tasks: collate brochures and prepare mailings
-Advocate for mental health consumer and family issues by identifying and supporting helpful/harmful legislation, calling, writing and visiting legislators and local public officials
-Staff a NAMI Pasco table at college and community events
-Prepare, submit and follow-up grant requests to foundations, public agencies and local philanthropists (businesses and individuals)
-When available, receive Family2Family, Peer-to-Peer, NAMI Connection or In Our Own Voice training and offer these NAMI resources to the Pasco community by becoming a family or consumer support group leader, a NAMI teacher or a Connections facillitator (Champion)
-Help with the NAMI December Holiday Party and Summer Picnic
-Become a community coordinator for local psychiatric hospitals to help inpatient consumers identify and access community resources like NAMI and DBSA among others
HOW TO BECOME A NAMI TEACHER, FAMILY OR CONSUMER SUPORT GROUP LEADER, or a CONNECTIONS FACILLITATOR (CHAMPION)
For a printable description of qualifications and procedures for NAMI Pasco teacher and facilitator applicants, please click here.
For a printable application of the Teacher Training form for all of the following please click here.
· Family to Family
· Peer to Peer
· In Our Own Voice
· NAMI Basics
ADVISORY BOARD OPPORTUNITIES
Being a member of the Advisory Board is a great opportunity to make a difference in the community, and lend your expertise to our organization. Please download the application at the bottom of this page, and then email it to email@example.com and we will be in touch. Thank you!!
Champion Description (PDF File)
Teacher/Facillitator Application (PDF File)
Advisory Board Application (Word Document)