NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) Vermilion County is a non-profit, self-help and advocacy organization whose goal is to improve the quality of life for persons with mental illness and their families.
We welcome all who have felt alone because of serious mental illness within the family.
WHAT A FAMILY MEMBER CAN DO
* Educate yourself. Talk with family members, attend educational programs, view quality videos, read books, contact organizations involved with mental health. Dealing with the unknown can be more difficult than dealing with the disease.
* Become involved. Get support from others with similar problems.
* Find professionals who involve families in their treatment plans for clients.
* Normalize your own life as much as possible.
* Develop outside interests and make time for them.
* Do fun things! Laugh! Maintain meaningful relationships.
* Join NAMI.