|National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from
(800) 950-NAMI; firstname.lastname@example.org
NAMI National Board of Directors
Darlene Prettyman is a Certified Psychiatric Nurse from Bakersfield, California. She currently is the Director of Government and Community Relations for the Anne Sippi Clinic in Riverside Ranch. As a member of the NAMI Board of Directors, Darlene serves as the Chair of the State Relations Committee.
Darlene has a wealth of professional and personal experience in the area of serious mental illness. Among the many positions she holds, Darlene:
- chairs the Consumer/Family Member Task Force for the State of California;
- is the Chair-Elect of the California Mental Health Planning Council
- sits on the Executive Committee of the Governing Board of the California Institute for Mental Health;
- is a charter member and former President of the Board of Directors of Living Connections, Inc., a non-profit organization providing housing for persons with mental illness;
- is Past President of NAMI California;
Darlene has represented NAMI on the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) National Task Force on Seclusion and Restraints. As an advocate she has dedicated her nursing career to furthering the cause of the mentally ill population and their families. In 1999, NAMI California awarded her the coveted Peggy Richardson Memorial Award for outstanding services performed on behalf of the seriously mentally ill. That same year, the California Psychiatric Association presented Darlene with its Exemplary Family and Patient Advocate Award. In her local community, Darlene has received the Mental Health Professional of Kern County award for 1996 and has been nominated Kern RN of the Year in 1991, 1995, and 1997.