|National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from
(800) 950-NAMI; firstname.lastname@example.org
New NAMI Diversity & Inclusion Work Group
Recovery for All
In their September 2009 meeting, the NAMI National Board of Directors unanimously approved the creation of a Diversity & Inclusion Work Group to assist NAMI in sustaining our commitment to the standard practices in diversity, inclusion and nondiscrimination as outlined in NAMI’s phase one Standards of Excellence.*
Members of the work group were appointed by Stephen Feinstein, president of the NAMI National Board of Directors, and Keris Myrick, secretary of the NAMI National Board of Directors. These work group members were chosen to represent a cross section of NAMI leaders who will provide diverse perspectives of individuals living with mental illness and their family members, NAMI state organization and local affiliate staff and volunteers, racial/ethnic groups, sexual/gender minorities, veterans, urban and suburban areas and rural and frontier communities.
The work group is expected to:
- recommend policies, procedures and programs designed to assure that diversity and inclusion remain organizational priorities and that NAMI achieves its vision;
- establish an open and continuous dialogue with leaders from diverse backgrounds who will provide guidance and input to the board about diversity and inclusion issues;
- propose best practices in diversity management; and
- become a model for the creation and operation of state organization and local affiliate diversity and inclusion advisory groups.
The work group has already participated in their first conference call and will be meeting throughout 2010. It is coordinated by Multicultural Action Center staff and reports directly to the national board’s Planning Committee.
*Click here for more information on NAMI’s Standards of Excellence.