|National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from
Lighting of Candles
by Nancy Lee Head
(The congregation is invited to call out first names of appropriate persons when each candle is lit. Instructions should be placed in the bulletin, but it is also helpful to invite people prior to the event to be prepared to give names at the appropriate time during this service.)
The following statements should be made as the candles are being lit.
- Let us remember those who are hospitalized with mental illness.
- Let us remember family members and other caregivers.
- Let us remember those persons who have died as a result of mental illness.
- Let us remember people who are recovering from mental illness.
- Let us remember people with mental illness who are living on the streets and who find themselves in jails or in prisons.
- Let us remember professional providers who offer treatment and services to people with mental illnesses.