National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore
Advocacy Makes a Difference!
SMARTS for Advocacy Training: January 11th, 2014
This program is an intensive one day advocacy training that will teach you the skills to:
Please contact Renee Stainrod for a sign up form and more information!
SAVE THE DATE: Advocacy Day 2014
Advocacy Day will be held on Wednesday, February 5th, 2014 in Annapolis, Maryland
What is Advocacy Day?
Advocacy Day is an opportunity for NAMI stakeholders in Maryland to join together, meet with elected officials, and tell our stories to make a difference in our communities. This is our opportunity to voice our concerns on issues surrounding mental illness to our legislators!
Advocacy Day offers you a unique opportunity to pass on the lessons you have learned as a person impacted by mental illness. Elected Officials must hear from you if we are to make a difference in the state of Maryland and in our communities. Your story is the most powerful tool in the arsenal available to mental health advocates!
Volunteers are needed:
- Have had difficulty with emergency peitions
- Have had difficulty having a loved one involuntarily admitted to the hospital for psychiatric treatment
- Have been told by anyone that the person would not meet the legal standard for emergency evaluation or involuntary hospitalization
- Know someone who does not comply with treatment as an outpatient
- Know someone who was in the hospital but refused to take medication and medication was not forced by the hospital
Please contact Renee Stainrod for more information on participating in Advocacy Day and volunteer opportunities.
Become a Member of the Advocacy Committee
NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore's Advocacy Committee is currently accepting applications for committee members.
The Advocacy Commitee's primary goals are to support and facilitate local advocacy efforts, to educate our stakeholders, to teach advocacy skills, and to provide feedback to our state and national organizations. If you are interested in joining NAMI MB's Advocacy Committee, please contact Jessica Messner to receive an application.