|National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from
(800) 950-NAMI; email@example.com
WHAT: NAMI's Fifth Annual "Unmasking Mental Illness" Gala
DATE: Wednesday, October 14, 2009
PLACE: Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium, 1301 Constitution Avenue NW, Washington, D.C.
TIME: 6:30 pm Silent Auction and Reception | 7:30 pm Dinner
TICKETS: $300. Please call Susan Gaffney at 703-516-7967 for more information.
Join us as we host our 5th Annual Gala Dinner celebrating NAMI's work and dedication to improving the lives of more than 15 million Americans living with serious mental illnesses and their families. Founded in 1979, NAMI has become the nation's voice on mental illness.
If you are outside of the Washington, DC area or unable to attend this year's gala, you can still show your support by making a donation online today and sitting with NAMI at our virtual table.
View the Virtual Table.
Your name will be prominently displayed online, or if you wish, you may remain anonymous.
Mind of America Scientific Research Award
NAMI will present its "Mind of America Scientific Research Award" at the Gala to Dr. William Carpenter for his groundbreaking research which has made a significant contribution to a better understanding and treatment of mental illness, particularly schizophrenia.
For the first time in the Gala's five year history, NAMI is proud to offer attendees the opportunity to bid in a silent auction.
Auction items include:
Trips and Getaways
- A trip to Santa Fe: Explore historic Santa Fe with its southwestern charm, fabulous sunsets, great food, and fascinating museums galore! It's the perfect place to unwind with family or friends. We offer three different hotel experiences with 2 nights at the Inn and Spa at Loretto in a traditional Pueblo guestroom, 2 nights at La Fonda on the Plaza with breakfast for 2 at the in house restaurant, La Plazvela, and two nights at the Eldorado with dinner for two at the historic Old House restaurant. Snuggle up at these amazing accommodations in a cozy white robe curiosity of La Fonda Hotel. To pass the time away during the day, we have 4 passes to 11 Museums & Monuments courtesy of the Santa Fe Convention and Visitors Bureau including the brand new, ultra modern New Mexico History Museum and the New Mexico Museum of Art!
- A trip to San Francisco: It's the city that everyone wants to be in and a chance to stay in the hotel everyone wants to go to... The Westin St. Francis at Union Square in the heart of San Francisco! Simply step outside, and you can hop aboard one of the trolley cars pulling in to enjoy a breathtaking ride to China Town, Alcatraz, or the Fisherman´s Wharf. Take a weekend break in deluxe accommodations and enjoy this luxurious retreat.
- A DC Getaway: Settle into the Grand Hyatt Washington for a quiet weekend for two with dinner at trendy Founding Farmers, an eco-conscious restaurant in Foggy Bottom. Owned by the North Dakota Farmers Union, Founding Farmer serves you everything from farm fresh eggs to boutique coffees.
- Sailing on the Bay: Escape the city and enjoy fresh ocean air by spending a full day sailing on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay out of Baltimore or Annapolis with light refreshments for 4 to 6 people (children must be accompanied by an adult) donated by Carol Caruso & Jerry Rudakevich.
Clothes and Jewels
- b. michael "Exit Suit": Here is your one of a kind opportunity to dress like the stars in a b. michael America "Exit Suit" with its standup collar, back button jacket, and slim short skirt in Italian Black Double Faced Wood Crepe. Actress Cicely Tyson calls b.michael her favorite designer along with many local DC "michaelistas," who never leave a show without placing an order!
- Silver Earrings with Pearls: Put on this pair of hand-fabricated sterling silver earrings enhanced with pearl dangles from the "Flora" collection by Jules Jewels and make any outfit. This designer creates something new and exciting every time she places her hands on raw gems. Own these one of a kind earrings and you will be ready for a great evening on the town.
- Family Portrait: With the holidays in the not too distant future, a visit to Mark Lovett Studio for a family portrait will surely be the gift of the year. The Studio offers amazing oil painting portraits and photography for any occasion.
- Lloyd-Meurer Portrait Studio: Featuring distinctive award winning portraiture, this studio combines the realism of photography with the richness of an oil painting. The certificate is good for one family or children's portrait sitting and the first 8 x 10 photograph.
Just for Kids
- DVD Collection 4 Kids: From Sesame Street to Kirby's Adventures to SonicX to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, 4 Kids Entertainment offers a basket of DVDs for several age groups to enjoy on those rainy days at home. Pop some popcorn and sit back with the kids courtesy of 4 kids Entertainment.
One of a Kind!
- House, MD Cast Autograph: Fans of the primetime Emmy Award winning show starring Hugh Laurie as Dr. Gregory House will love a lithograph signed copy of the Season One Episode "Three Stories." This pivotal episode won House and its creator David Shore, an Emmy for best writing. The script is signed by the cast (Hugh Laurie, Lisa Edelstein, Robert Sean Leonard, Omar Epps, Jennifer Morrison and Jesse Spencer. To enhance the package, we offer the complete Season Five on DVD for your House parties. And, don't forget to greet your House guests with a signed cane from the doctor himself.
- Bart Starr Autograph: Green Bay Packers Bart Starr autographed this mini-helmet for your collection.
- Private Yoga Sessions: Need a break? Here is your opportunity to relax and renew yourself with 2 private yoga sessions in your home or office. Each session lasts one hour and 15 minutes. Alexa Klein, a YogaWorks certified Vinyasa yoga instructor, will make your day. Can be exchanged for one semi private yoga session for 2 or more people.
The prestigious audience includes members of Congress, political leaders, sports figures, the corporate sector, academia, the media, community leaders and many scientists and researchers from across the country. The event provides networking opportunities with an audience as impressive as our honoree and speakers.
Proceeds from the Gala benefit NAMI programs that serve individuals with serious mental illness and their families in all 50 states.
We hope you will join us for a stimulating and entertaining evening. If you are unable to attend the Gala, you can still be a part of the evening and show your support by making an online donation today. Your name will be displayed online or you may wish to remain anonymous.
For additional information about the Gala and sponsorships, please contact Susan Gaffney at (703) 516-7967, Natalie Duarte at (703) 516-7970 or Natalie Shear Associates at (202) 833-4456 x101.
If you are interested in sponsoring this event, please download this form and mail the completed to:
3803 N. Fairfax Dr.
Arlington, VA 22203-1701