Take Action as An Organization:
Plan an Activity to Celebrate National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month
You can organize all types of events and activities, big and small, to celebrate the Month. The type and size of event is up to you, your goal and resources. To help you determine the best event for you, this section provides:
Make sure you share your plans with us at email@example.com. We will be highlighting events and activities throughout July.
Make multicultural mental health the topic of your monthly staff or membership meeting. Highlight why this is important to your organization.
If you have an organizational newsletter, blog or other type of electronic publication, make sure to include articles on multicultural mental health and to mention that you are celebrating the month.
Sometimes My Mommy Gets Angry by Bebe Moore Campbell.
I Am Not Sick. I do Not Need Help by Xavier Amador (in English and Spanish).
Haldol and Hyacinths: A Bipolar Life by Melody Moezzi.
- Order your books through the NAMI store’s Amazon.com link, and a percentage of your purchases will benefit NAMI.
Promote and celebrate the month through social media channels.
- An expert panel to present key information on research or available community services.
- A movie or video clip and follow it up with a discussion panel.
- A Mental Health Awareness breakfast where you invite key community leaders to come discuss how to address mental health problems in diverse communities.
- An activity fair, block party, a luncheon, etc. with free mental health screening (make sure you have your screening instruments available in multiple languages).
- A fun event that can bring families together such as picnics, flash mobs, talent shows or other activities.
- A concert, a play, a poetry reading or a talent show.
- A candlelight vigil to honor and call attention to those who have died by suicide.
| The following questions can help you determine the type of event you would like to plan:
Support NAMI to help millions of Americans who face mental illness every day.Donate today
Inspire others with your message of hope. Show others they are not alone.Share your story
Become an advocate. Register on NAMI.org to keep up with NAMI news and events.Join NAMI Today