The phrase Mental Illness must be eliminated from our language.
1. If we are fighting stigma, why do we refer to Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Depression, etc., as mental illnesses when they are PHYSICAL ILLNESSES.
2. The pain and humiliation for those suffering from brain disorders, when they are called Mentally Ill is a huge reason to stop using this phrase. Many people feel like freaks and sub human when people call them Mentally Ill. Don't they suffer enough without taking their self esteem and worthiness away?
3. If we stopped asking insurance companies to pay for Mental Illness, but rather neurological disorders, we would not need a Parity Act.
4. The phrase is archaic and each illness needs to be called by it's respective name just like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Epilepsy.
5. NAMI MUST CHANGE ITS NAME. WITH ALL THE GOOD WORK THE ORGANIZATION DOES, FIGHTING STIGMA BY USING THE PHRASE MENTAL ILLNESS, ONLY BRINGS MORE STIGMA ON.
PLEASE HEAR ME AND JOIN ME IN DOING WHAT YOU CAN TO TELL PEOPLE TO STOP USING THE PHRASE MENTAL ILLNESS. Our goal is to empower those who suffer by feeling worthwhile, respected, not discriminated against, not feeling shame and nor should their families, become educated about the brain and realize there are no mental illnesses.
These illnesses can be seen in brain scans and the brain is a physical part of our body. People with other illnesses such as diabetes also suffer from mood disorders, and yet, they are not called mentally ill.
Help yourself by learning about your brain illness, imbalance, or disorder. Then please educate your family and friends, and go further by publishing your thoughts in as many discussion groups, web sites, your own web site, the media, write an article and submit it, or visit our community page and post your thoughts. Help yourself and others feel empowered and fight for your own human rights.
Over 50 million Americans alone suffer from these illness, and yet we don't hear their voices. We all must have a loud voice to change a system that forces, discriminates, takes away your human rights, jails, abuses, sends people to the street, and tries to control you, a human being. Do you deserve that? Well, neither does anyone else especially those who suffer from these horrific illnesses.
Learn about eating healthy and keeping your immune system optimum. Visit our website, http://stopcallingusmentallyill.org, and learn about Orthomolecular (vitamins and supplements)treatments, Homeopathy, and the other health freedom sites listed on our web site that will teach you about taking certain herbs or supplements i.e., Vitamin B's. Niacin, Fish Oil, and much much more.
Be aware of the pharmaceutical companies' need to make money, and follow all the medications that cause suicide in teens, and others that kill more people than automobile accidents in a year.
Education, education, education is Power. I am not suggesting that you not take medications, only that you stay informed and empowered and don't feel like a victim who must follow the system. Tell others and empower them.
THERE IS POWER IN NUMBERS, AND WE ALL NEED TO GET TOGETHER AND FIGHT THIS PREJUDICE AND STIGMA, AND REFER TO OUR FAMILIES' ILLNESSES BY THEIR RESPECTIVE NAMES.
WE MUST EDUCATE SOCIETY THAT THESE ILLNESSES ARE PHYSICAL ILLNESSES AND NOT MENTAL ILLNESSES.
IF YOU CAN SEE A DISEASE IN A BRAIN SCAN, WHY WOULD YOU CALL IT MENTAL ILLNESS.
Stop Calling Us Mentally Ill
6120 W. Burnham, suite 8
West Allis, Wisconsin 53219
I would like testimonials from people who have been called Mentally ill and permission to publish these testimonials.
Please come up with ideas as to how we can join together and stop this insanity.