Talking Points for Calling Louisiana Legislators
- Cutting access to mental health treatment for people with mental illness will cost lives and result in huge costs to our police, courts, businesses, schools, and families.
- Funding access to mental health treatment and medications in medicaid saves the state money as community and other costs that are of greater fiscal consequence are avoided.
- Do not jeopardize the law that protects access to medications for people with mental illness in Louisiana…VOTE NO TO HB 369!
- P0licies that require medicaid recipients with mental illness to switch medications, fail on older or cheaper medications, or restrict access to prescribed medications lead to high costs crisis interventions and hospitalizations that waste limited tax dollars.
- On average, a year’s worth of medication for a person on medicaid with mental illness averages $3800 vs. an average of $950 a day for hospitalization. Funding mental health medications in medicaid is cost effective and necessary.
Enter your zip code below to access a sample letter on this issue and a list of your representatives to contact now. If you do not see the box for entering your zip code, click here.