Register and Join
State & Local NAMIs
Special Needs Estate Planning
Do your part to help protect and strengthen funding for mental health care treatment for children and adults. Click your state below to send a letter to your state officials asking them to support increased funding for mental health care services.
2013 Legislative Session
Interested in knowing when your state's legislative session begins and ends
and which party controls the state legislature? View the legislative calendar at Stateline.org, a site of the Pew Center on the States.
- The World Health Organization predicts that by 2020, mental illness will be the second leading cause of disability worldwide, after heart disease.
- Major mental disorders cost the nation at least $193 billion annually in lost earnings alone, according to a new study funded by the National Institutes of Health's National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH).
- When workers with depression were treated with prescription medicines medical costs declined by $882 per employee per year and absenteeism dropped by 9 days (Health Economics).
- Half of all lifetime cases of mental illness begin by age 14, three-quarters by age 24. Treating cases early could reduce enormous disability, before mental illnesses become more severe.
- One in four adults experiences a diagnosable mental disorder in any given year, including our returning troops. One in ten children has a serious mental or emotional disorder.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death for America's youth ages 15-24. More youth and young adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza, and chronic lung disease combined. The vast majority of those who die by suicide have a mental illness-often undiagnosed or untreated.
Our jails and prisons are now the largest psychiatric wards in the nation, housing well over 350,000 inmates with serious mental illness compared to approximately 70,000 patients with serious mental illness in hospitals.
- One out of every five community hospital stays involves a primary or secondary diagnosis of mental illness.
Support NAMI to help millions of Americans who face mental illness every day.
Inspire others with your message of hope. Show others they are not alone.
Share your story
Show your support and take the pledge. Help make a difference.
Take the pledge