June 25, 2007
A Look Back
2007 NAMI National Convention
Building Our Movement, Building Our Future
NAMI welcomed its members, friends, and scores of others whose lives have been affected by mental illness to San Diego, CA, from June 20-24 for the 2007 NAMI National convention.
Attendees enjoyed four days packed with workshops, seminars, program tracks, exhibits, receptions, and entertainment. From meeting face-to-face with some of America's top mental health researchers and physicians, to getting practical ideas for action and advocacy, to honoring the achievements of the NAMI movement over the past year, the opportunities for learning, networking, and celebration abounded.
Highlights of this year's event included:
- The national kick-off of the new NAMI Connection recovery support group program. Actual support group sessions were held three of the four days.
- The national launch of E-Join, allowing new NAMI members to join their state and affiliate NAMI through the NAMI Web site.
- A focus on mental illness within the Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) community.
- A special session on neuroscience perspectives on recovery.
- A Spanish-language forum for community members from the San Diego area.
- A screening of the film Canvas, with the film's star Joe Pantoliano in attendance.
Daily Highlights and Photos:
Download powerpoint presentations and order tapes/CD's from NAMI's 2007 Convention on our 2007 Resources page.