A Report on America’s Health Care System for Adults with Serious Mental Illness
|Overview | State by State | Findings | Recommendations | Methodology | Full Report | Media | How You Can Help | Discuss|
To transform our nation’s mental health care system, the federal government, governors, and state legislators must take action in five key areas. This report offers specific recommendations in each area. Chapter 4 highlights states that are currently supporting some of these critical steps.
1. Increase Public Funding for Mental Health Care Services
2. Improve Data Collection, Outcomes Measurement, and Accountability
3. Integrate Mental and Physical Health Care
4. Promote Recovery and Respect
5. Increase Services for People with Serious Mental Illnesses Who are Most at Risk
"I prefer to use the terms 'manage' and 'coping' rather than recovery. (It's like) my struggle with heart disease. Given the limits of modern medicine, I'll never recover from my damaged heart, but I've learned to manage the symptoms."
Mike Fitzpatrick, NAMI Executive Director
Consumer and Family Member Comments