NAMI is pleased to announce the nine candidates for the 2018 - 2019 NAMI Board of Directors! Five candidates will be elected to serve for the standard three-year term.
All nominees are NAMI members and members of the NAMI Affiliate or NAMI State Organization making the nomination. Nominations were made by NAMI Affiliates and NAMI State Organizations that have submitted their membership and paid dues by the nomination deadline.
BOARD RECOMMENDATIONS OF CANDIDATES:
New this year for NAMI Elections, The NAMI Board is making some changes to the annual election process this year to ensure sound and fair election practices and to encourage highly-qualified individuals to come forward for board service. Some of these changes include:
- Board recommendation of those candidates who are assessed as having the greatest potential to contribute skills and expertise currently needed to complement existing strengths on the board. All qualified candidates will stand for election, but all candidates may not receive a board recommendation.
On Wednesday, May 23, the NAMI Board of Directors met and voted on their recommendations from the roster of candidates in this year's election. Click here to read more about the process and who the Board has noted as "HIghly Recommended" and "Recommended".
To learn more about these very worthwhile nominees, click on the candidates' names to read their statements of candidacy and find out their NAMI affiliations and other Board service. Also included with each candidate profile is the letter of nomination from the NAMI Affiliates or NAMI State Organizations recommending them for service to the NAMI Board and a summary of statements both the candidate and the nominator provided in support of their candidacy.
- Phyllis Arends, Nominated by NAMI Sioux Falls (South Dakota) **
- Judge Joyce A. Campbell, Nominated by NAMI Ohio *
- Steve Pitman, Nominated by NAMI Orange County, CA *
- Linda Welsch Jensen, PhD, RN, Nominated by NAMI Nebraska **
- Dave Stafford, Nominated by NAMI South Carolina *
- Captain Stacey L. Owens, Nominated by NAMI Greenville (South Carolina) *
- Vanessa Fernandes, Nominated by NAMI Austin (Texas) *
- Rima Reddy, Nominated by NAMI New York City Metro (New York) **
- Leah Thedford, Nominated by NAMI Texas **
* Board Highly Recommends ** Board Recommends
Listed below are links to the pre-recorded candidate speeches. You can also access them from each candidate's profile.
NAMI State Organizations and NAMI Affiliates in good standing received a packet of election materials in late May. The packets will include information on pre-credentialing in advance of voting at the NAMI Convention in New Orleans in June, guidance on how to vote using the online voting system, updates on the NAMI Elections 2018 process and, new this year, the recommendations by the NAMI Board of Directors of the candidates they feel will best meet the areas of skill and experience most needed in 2018 to assist the board in realizing the vision and growth trajectory of the organization. For more information about these areas, read the Open Letter from the Board.
If you have questions about the 2018 NAMI voting and elections process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.