Frequently Asked Questions

Medication Frequently Asked Questions

Can I receive disability for my mental health condition? I need help understanding health insurance, Medicaid and Medicare.

Getting insurance or understanding your current insurance plan may seem complicated. Understanding Health Insurance explains the basics and can help you navigate the system successfully.

Some people living with a mental health condition may need to receive disability income from Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Social Security Income (SSI) when they are unable to work. The Social Security Administration provides information and an online Disability Planner and Application or you can call 800-772-1213 for information on the application process.

Some organizations offer help with applications and appeals including: 

If you have questions or concerns about Medicaid and Medicare eligibility or benefits, contact the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS)  or call 800-MEDICARE (633-4227).

Many people have also gotten Medicare and Social Security assistance through the Medicare Rights Center, which provides their MRC Consumer Hotline at 800-333-4114

Back to questions