Inspire others to raise awareness and take part in sharing information, resources and support for mental health conditions.
Into Mental Health: Inspired, Informed, Involved
Mental Health Facts
- 1 in 5 adults in the United States lives with a mental health condition.
- 1 in 25 (10 million) adults in the United States lives with a serious mental illness.
- 60 million people in the United States face the day-to-day reality of living with a mental illness.
- Half of all lifetime mental health conditions begin by age 14 and 75% by age 24, but early intervention programs can help.
- African Americans and Hispanic Americans used mental health services at about half the rate of whites in the past year, and Asian Americans at about one-third the rate.
- 90% of those who die by suicide have an underlying mental illness. Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, but suicide is preventable.
- The best treatments for serious mental illnesses today are highly effective; between 70 and 90% of individuals have significant reduction of symptoms and improved quality of life with the right treatments and supports.
- Additional facts and citations are available at Mental Health by the Numbers.
What is Stigma?
People experiencing mental health conditions often face rejection, bullying and even discrimination. This can make their journey to recovery longer and more difficult. Stigma is when someone, or you yourself, views you in a negative way because you have a mental health condition. Some people describe stigma as shame that can be felt as a judgement from someone else or a feeling that is internal, something that confuses feeling bad with being bad.
Navigating life with a mental health condition can be tough, and the isolation, blame and secrecy that is often encouraged by stigma can create huge challenges to reaching out, getting needed support and living well. Learning how to cope with stigma and how to avoid and address stigma are important for all of us. Learn more about how you can be StigmaFree.
Sample Social Media Posts
Facebook & Instagram
- July is #MinorityMentalHealth Month! Did you know that 1 in 5 adults in the U.S. has a mental health condition? Support NAMI’s work. https://www.nami.org/minoritymentalhealth
- African Americans and Hispanic Americans used mental health services at about half the rate of whites in the past year, and Asian Americans at about one-third the rate. Let’s change this! #MinorityMentalHealth https://www.nami.org/minoritymentalhealth
- It is #MinorityMentalHealth Month and I’m proud to be #IntoMentalHealth! I challenge you to join me by pledging to be #StigmaFree. www.nami.org/stigmafree
- I’m inspired to build better lives for millions of people with mental illness. Are you? Learn more about all the ways to get involved. #IntoMentalHealth www.nami.org/intomentalhealth