2017 National Policy Priorities
Invest in mental health and innovation
- Reject Medicaid caps or block grants that drive down innovation and force state program cuts, putting individuals with mental illness and families at risk
- Support Medicaid expansion, with income-based eligibility, to provide coverage and a pathway to self-sufficiency for individuals with mental health conditions
- Ensure insurance market reforms include mental health and substance use disorder coverage in every health plan and at the same level (parity) as other health conditions
- Increase investment at NIH and NIMH in understanding, diagnosing and treating mental illness
Learn more about our campaign to safeguard mental health in health insurance plans.
Learn more about our campaign to protect and expand Medicaid.
Promote early intervention
- Promote early intervention for serious mental illness through continued federal funding set aside in the Mental Health Block Grant to support research-based First Episode Psychosis programs
Improve integration of care
- Improve integration of health and mental health care through policies and financing that:
- Support the Collaborative Care Model, integrating behavioral health expertise into primary care
- Expand Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics that integrate primary care into behavioral health care clinics
Support caregivers, military service members & veterans
- Support our nation’s caregivers by extending existing national caregiver support programs to include family caregivers of people with mental illness
- Increase capacity for mental health care and promote continuity of care for military service members and veterans with mental health conditions
Learn more about our campaign to protect veterans' access to mental health care.
End the criminalization of mental illness
- Reduce the high cost of jailing people with mental illness by investing in policies and funding to ensure that every community has:
- 24/7 behavioral health crisis response teams
- Subacute and respite care
- Assertive Community Treatment and Forensic Assertive Community Treatment (ACT/FACT) teams
Download and print your own copy to give to your members of Congress: NAMI 2017 National Policy Priorities.