John W. Schladweiler
Nominated by NAMI Illinois
Member, NAMI Cook County North Suburban (IL)
Listen to John's Candidate Speech
Specific Strengths and Attributes:
- Experience with a variety of revenue models and financial oversight and management
Job Title or Position:
- Business Strategy Consultant: Self-employed
- Secretary, NAMI State Presidents Council, 2018-present
- Member, Board of Directors, NAMI Illinois, 2013-present (President, 2015-present)
- Member, Board of Directors, NAMI Cook County North Suburban, 2006-2016 (Co-President, 2013-2016; Treasurer, 2006-2009)
- NAMI Advocacy, NAMIWalks.
Other Board Service:
- Member, Board of Directors, Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras (Board President,10 years)
- Member, Board of Directors, 1630 Sheridan Corporation (Board President, 3 years)
Relationship to Mental Health:
- Family member or direct/front-line support of someone with a mental health condition
NAMI right now is highly relevant and needs to grow and thrive to meet the needs of those it serves. To grow it will need to determine how to tap into new revenue sources. Choosing which revenue sources to pursue, and how to approach them will take experience that I can bring from a long career in business, service marketing and technology improvement. Whether the revenues come from packaging options for philanthropists or government agencies, or finding ways to obtain value from existing assets such as our programs, or because of our unique position in representing families, we will need to skillfully explore each revenue avenue and manage the opportunities until we find success.
As we grow, we will also need to streamline our organization, make better use of information technology, realign roles in our three-tiered organization, clarify accountabilities, manage our money and risks - all areas in which I have extensive business and non-profit experience. I can play a mentor role, a team member, or lead teams as appropriate to bring forward options for management and the NAMI Board to consider. My experience in leadership roles at the Affiliate, State and National levels will help in this NAMI Board role.
I have personally helped advance the NAMI mission in my community by helping our NAMI team come together around a Vision, and then seeing how they can each participate in achieving it.
I work well in coordination with other leaders to accomplish goals as evidenced by my success as a consultant, where my role has been to help others achieve significant results without my need to own the recognition that follows.