Laurita J. Barber
Nominated by NAMI Franklin County (OH)
Member, NAMI Franklin County (OH)
Listen to Laurita's Candidate Speech
Specific Strengths and Attributes:
- Diversity of age, race, ethnicity, language, experience and national geography
- Experience with a variety of revenue models and financial oversight and management
Job Title or Position:
- Office Manager/Accountant, NAMI Franklin County (OH)
- Volunteer, NAMI Franklin County (OH)
- NAMI Family-To-Family, NAMI Homefront, NAMI Peer-To-Peer, NAMI Ending the Silence, NAMI Connection, NAMIWalks
Relationship to Mental Health:
- Individual with first-person experience of mental health condition; Family member or direct/front-line support of someone with a mental health condition; Non-Profit Advocate; Community Engagement/Employer
As an African American female with lived experience, I use every opportunities in my community to break down the barrier of stigma by being open and transparent, and by educating those individuals experiencing a mental health condition so they can begin to become comfortable reaching out for help.
My experience in the financial arena includes nonprofit, private industry, government, and banking will help move the mission of the NAMI Board forward. I am extremely disciplined, a self-starter and motivator. I also have experience with compliance, and, as a Certified Fraud Examiner, I was trained to look for deviances.
My dedication and commitment to NAMI (because they saved my life and allowed me to find my purpose) fuels me in my effort to do whatever I can to move the NAMI Board forward.
I have personally helped advance the NAMI mission in my community by starting a NAMI Connection Recovery Support Group in my church to help combat stigma. I was also responsible for implementing and growing the ETS program for our affiliate, in which I had to work closely with city school officials and staff. In 2017 our Affiliate completed over 98% of all of the presentations in Ohio. As the representative for our affiliate, I was invited to have breakfast with Tipper Gore in honor of her commitment and support of the NAMI Ending the Silence program.
I work well in coordination with other leaders to accomplish goals as evidenced by my oversight, coordination and implementation of the Mental Health First Aid program with faith leaders in our community.