Nominated by NAMI Connecticut
Member, NAMI Southwest CT
Listen to Joseph's Candidate Speech
Specific Strengths and Attributes:
- Knowledge of the philanthropic community and track record with donor cultivation
- Experience with a variety of revenue models and financial oversight and management
- Legal and risk management
Job Title or Position:
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Founder and Managing Partner, Orient Point Partners
NAMI Leadership Experience:
- NAMI Connecticut Board of Directors (President, 2019-present; Member, 2017 - present)
Additional NAMI Involvement:
- NAMI Family Support Group, NAMI Smarts for Advocacy, NAMIWalks, NAMI Ending the Silence
Other Board Service:
- Planetary Health Alliance Advisory Board (Chair, 2020-present)
- ecoAmerica Board (Member, 2020-present)
- Penn Law Board of Advisors (10+ years, expects to retire next year)
- Formerly on the Boards of two public companies, Gores Metropoulos I and II (retired as of 2021)
Relationship to Mental Health:
- Family member or direct/front-line support of someone with a mental health condition
Candidate Strengths Assessment
The candidate indicated they have experience in the following areas that will help NAMI achieve its mission and strategic goals:
- Banking/Trusts/Investments, Business/Nonprofit Administration, Business/Nonprofit Leadership, Financial Management/Accounting, Law, Philanthropy/Donor Cultivation, Research/Academia
Estimated years of experience in the above areas:
- I have been in Finance/Banking/Investments my entire career starting at Goldman Sachs where I became a partner in 1994. That experience introduced me to the world of philanthropy and donor cultivation. I have worked as a fundraiser at my college (Princeton), Law School (Penn) and for NAMI and other non-profits. I teach corporate law and governance as an adjunct professor at Penn Law.
The candidate indicated they have connections and networks in the following areas:
- Corporate Responsibility, Legal/Law, Philanthropy, Politics/Elected Officials
Additional information about the connections and networks:
- See comment box above. I am friends with Gov. Lamont and Congressman Himes in CT and Gov. Murphy in NJ. I remain active in Princeton, Penn and Harvard fundraising circles.
Candidate Leadership Style
The candidate indicated the following descriptors represent their leadership style:
- Action-oriented, Consensus Builder, Data Driven, Decisive, Innovator, Outcome-oriented, Process Thinker, Team Player
I am an active fund raiser and philanthropist. I have led multimillion dollar fundraising efforts for my college and law school. I have been the leading fundraiser for NAMI CT and one of the major donors through our family foundation. I have considerable experience in financial management, banking and investments through my career in investment banking including working at Goldman Sachs where I became a Partner. In my role as Head of Corporate Finance at Barclays and Lehman, I managed hundreds of people in my Department. I am a lawyer by training and teach a course in Mergers and Acquisitions which focuses on corporate law and governance. I have had an eclectic career and enjoy employing my various experiences and skills with a few non-profits that I care about.
I personally have helped advance the NAMI mission in my community by spearheading the strategic planning process for NAMI CT's new strategic plan, being a support group facilitator, hiring Liz Taylor as NAMI CT's ED, and playing a major role in raising funds to support the operations and programming of NAMI CT.
I work well in coordination with other leaders to accomplish goals as evidenced by establishing the NAMI Presidents' Council which is a regular forum for all NAMI Affiliate Presidents and VPs in CT and the NAMI CT President, VP and ED. We focus on pooling resources, best practices, improving internal and external communication and extending services into underserved areas of CT.