NAMI on Campus
Because Mental Health Matters
College is an exciting time. From being away from home and finding independence to meeting new people and trying new things, every day brings new experiences. There is also a new level of academic responsibility. Classes are harder and there is always a due date on the horizon. Balancing all of the changes that happen in college can be stressful and challenging.
Those challenges are even more difficult for the 1 in 5 students who also face a mental health condition. Nearly three-quarters of mental health conditions emerge by age 24, so many college students are facing mental health concerns for the first time, and may not know where to go for support.
NAMI knows that some of the best support a student can receive is from peers. When students connect with one another, they can share common experiences and support each other through the transitions. NAMI on Campus helps make those connections happen.
NAMI on Campus clubs work to end the stigma that makes it hard for students to talk about mental health and get the help they need. Clubs hold creative meetings, hold innovative awareness events, and offer signature NAMI programs through partnerships with NAMI State Organizations and Affiliates across the nation.
Why NAMI on Campus?
NAMI on Campus clubs are student-led, student-run mental health organizations on college campuses. NAMI on Campus clubs:
- Raise mental health awareness with fairs, walks and candlelit vigils.
- Educate the campus with presentations, guest speakers and student panels.
- Advocate for improved mental health services and policies on campus.
- Support peers with signature NAMI programs and training from NAMI State Organizations and Affiliates.
As a member of a NAMI on Campus club, you will belong to the largest grassroots mental health organization in America. Club leaders have access to the staff, resources, opportunities and support that comes with being part of this national movement, including opportunities beyond your college years.
Starting a Club
First check to see if a club already exists at your school. If not, don't worry, starting a NAMI on Campus club at your school is easy!
Start by filling out the NAMI on Campus Interest Form.
- We’ll send you a Startup Packet and give you access to a NAMI on Campus leaders only web section that provides you with resources to start your club.
- Contact your NAMI State Organization and NAMI Affiliate, connect with your school, write a club constitution and recruit club members.
- Send your completed materials back to NAMI and start making a difference!
If you have any questions, please visit our FAQs page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.