A webinar series focused on addressing mental health crises with comprehensive community responses
In NAMI’s Ask the Expert Help Not Handcuffs Webinar Series, NAMI welcomes experts from across the country to present, discuss and explore strategies for diverting people with mental illness away from the justice system and toward the care that they need. This multi-part series will address the history of mental health and the justice system, past and present legislative efforts, several existing jail diversion models, and what we can expect and strive for through programs like these in the future.
As part of NAMI’s mission to engage in advocacy, education, support and public awareness in pursuit of better outcomes for those affected by mental illness, this series aims to provide a comprehensive overview from past to present and beyond of how we’ve arrived at this current moment in mental health and justice.
The series, moderated by NAMI Chief Medical Officer Dr. Ken Duckworth, will include perspectives and insights from clinicians, peers, law enforcement professionals and more.
Below is a complete schedule of topics and dates for this series.
- Divert from Justice Involvement: Every community should have robust crisis services for people experiencing a psychiatric emergency to receive help and avoid justice system involvement.
- Divert to What? Community Services That Enhance Diversion: Many communities are committed to diverting people with mental illness away from the criminal justice system. This NAMI publication is meant to help communities identify the gaps and opportunities in the existing system that will enhance their efforts to divert people from justice system involvement.
- Mental Health by the Numbers: View NAMI’s infographics for the most current statistics on mental illness prevalence, treatment rates and more.
- Mental Illness and the Criminal Justice System: View NAMI’s one-page fact sheet on how people with mental illness are impacted by the criminal justice system.
- Navigating a Mental Health Crisis: This NAMI publication provides important, potentially life-saving information for people experiencing mental health crises and their loved ones. It outlines what can contribute to a crisis, warning signs that a crisis is emerging, strategies to help de-escalate a crisis, available resources and so much more.