Introducing NAMI Homefront Mental Health Resources for Military Service Members, Veterans and Their Families!
We understand attending an in-person class can be difficult for busy individuals and families. NAMI is excited to announce the launch of our free online suite of resources for caregivers, family members, and military service members and veterans designed to increase understanding, communication, wellness and advocacy skills.
Accessible through computers or mobile devices, NAMI Homefront Mental Health Resources is available 24/7 and includes information about:
- Mental health conditions
- Treatment options
- Approaches to increase overall wellness
- Tips for self-care and managing stress
- Communication strategies
- Transitioning from military to civilian life
- Links to helpful organizations and crisis services
- And more!
Access NAMI Homefront Mental Health Resources
About NAMI Homefront
NAMI Homefront is a free, 6-session educational program for families, caregivers and friends of military service members and veterans with mental health conditions.
Based on the nationally recognized NAMI Family-to-Family program, NAMI Homefront is designed to address the unique needs of family, caregivers and friends of those who have served or are currently serving our country. The program is taught by trained family members of service members/veterans with mental health conditions.
What You’ll Gain
Recovery is a journey and there is hope for all people affected by mental health conditions. This in-person experience provides the opportunity for mutual support and shared positive impact. You will experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow.
NAMI Homefront teaches you how to:
- Learn to care for yourself, including managing your stress
- Support your family member with compassion
- Identify and access federal, state and local services
- Stay informed on the latest research and information on mental health, including posttraumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, anxiety, depression and substance use
- Understand current treatments and evidence-based therapies
- Navigate the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on the entire family
- Manage a crisis, solve problems and communicate effectively
What People are Saying
"This training has been really helpful for me to process much of my own emotions. I am at a point now that being able to stop and look back at exactly how far we've come and being reminded of the painful past but positive changes was very empowering. Sometimes when we get stuck in the routine of moving on we lose sight of how far we've come."
"I realized I saw signs and symptoms of PTSD but did not know how to handle my loved one — I know better how to handle situations."
“You realize that he will never be the same having been through war. I learned how to treat him more as an adult than as a hurt child.”— Mother of a Veteran after graduating from a NAMI Family-to-Family class held at a VA clinic
“We are still friends with everyone that was in the class. There’s always and open ear and an open heart and a shoulder to cry on if you need it.” — Father of a Veteran after graduating from a NAMI Family-to-Family class held at a VA hospital
Sign Up for a Class
Find the NAMI Homefront nearest to you. If a class isn’t available, contact your local NAMI Affiliate about starting one.
Thanks to our partners for making this program possible.